The ability of the body to maintain balance is based on complex coordination between the sensory systems, including anticipating environmental clues, responding to variations, and maintaining the body’s center of gravity. Disruption in any one of the sensory systems (visual, vestibular, and somatosensory) results in spatial disorientation, and varying degrees of unsteadiness, or imbalance.
One of the major complications associated with diabetic neuropathy (nerve damage) is loss of somatosensory information in the hands and feet, which compromises stability and increases the risk of falling. The absence of pain can result in a diabetic patient’s failure to recognize a problem or to appreciate a problem’s significance until it’s created significant balance or wound problems.
60-70 percent of those with diabetes have some form of neuropathy. Neuropathy can occur at any time, with the risk increasing with age and the duration of diabetes.
Ankle foot orthosis (AFOs) is used for diabetics with neuropathy to aid ambulation, and can help restore a more normal gait pattern, and reduce the mechanical risks of ulceration.
AFOs can facilitate exercise, improve balance, and reduce the risk of falls.
AFO Liner Socks
As important as it is to have the proper fit for the AFO, having a protective barrier between the AFO material and skin is just as vital. AFO liner socks must shield the wearer’s skin from direct contact with the AFO material, as well as stay cool in the summer, warm in the winter, reduce chafing, provide cushioning – not to mention look stylish!
AFO liner socks from Creative Care carries a full line of AFO Liner Socks for women and men, including:
- length reaches over top of brace;
- made of 97% moisture-wicking Cool MAX™ and 3% Lycra fibers;
- keeps wearer cooler in summer, warmer in winter;
- moisture management and breath-ability;
- light compression top to keep sock in place for a smooth interface;
- fully terry-lined for cushioning between patient and appliance;
- machine wash and dry.
- light compression top keeps sock in place for a smooth interface;
- fully terry-lined for cushioning between skin and appliance;
- knitted heel pocket for better fit;
- length reaches over top of brace
- machine wash and dry.
Specifically designed for the unique needs of AFO wearers who experience excess perspiration or odors. Perfect for those who experience rashes, dermatitis, or fungus.
- X-Static™ silver plaited CoolMAX® places silver directly against the skin to give maximum anti-microbial protection while wicking away moisture. Silver naturally eliminates odor-causing bacteria and helps prevent dermatitis, athlete’s foot and fungus problems.
- Helps prevent fungus from developing against the skin where the strap is riveted to the AFO.
- Keeps wearer cooler in summer and warmer in winter.
- Accommodates most individuals from foot to knee allowing the sock to be rolled of the top of the orthosis, which ensures the sock will stay up all day long!
- Comes in unique and attractive color.
Studies show that 50 percent of individuals diagnosed with diabetes go on to develop polyneuropathy after 20 years. Those with peripheral neuropathy have a significant risk of developing balance loss that requires use of an AFO. AFOs correct the patient’s gait and increases independence in ambulation.
The selection of the proper socks to use with an AFO is vital. Trust Creative Care, a family owned company, to carry the very best in AFO liner socks. Creative Care has been providing quality support socks and knit products for more than 30 years and understands the needs for those who require the use of an AFO.